If it’s free, there’s a catch, right? Not when it comes to the cost of WooCommerce.
WooCommerce is open-source software, making it the perfect choice for building your online store. This post explains what you need to buy to make WooCommerce work, giving you a better idea of your total cost of ownership and how it compares to other ecommerce platforms.
What is WooCommerce?
WooCommerce is an ecommerce plugin for WordPress. If you think building websites or posting blogs on WordPress is easy, you’ll love WooCommerce. The platform brings the simplicity of WordPress to an ecommerce platform. But just because it’s easy to use doesn’t mean it’s not powerful. Like WordPress, you can customize and extend WooCommerce however necessary to build the perfect online store.
If you can’t tell, we’re big fans of WooCommerce at Pressable. The same team that built WooCommerce and WordPress.com built our lightning-fast hosting service. We’re all part of the Automattic family.
How Much Does WooCommerce Cost?
WooCommerce costs $0. Seriously, it’s free.
It works the same way as WordPress. The software is free. You just pay for hosting and add-ons.
Costs associated with WooCommerce include:
- Hosting. WooCommerce is a self-hosted ecommerce platform, meaning you need a web host running WordPress to use it. Pressable managed WordPress hosting plans start at $19 a month.
- Domain Registration. Your website needs a URL, so you’ll need to pay to register a domain name. Registration fees average $15 to $20 a year.
- Plugins. Plugins add functionality and integrations to WooCommerce. While there are many free plugins, you might discover you need a paid one. Plugins can be one-time purchases, or some have recurring subscriptions.
- Themes. Like with WordPress, you might want to upgrade to a paid WooCommerce theme. A paid theme is optional. There are some pretty great free themes out there.
- Custom Development. If you need help building out your WooCommerce store, you may want to hire an agency or freelance developer.
Most of the additional costs associated with WooCommerce are optional. You can build an awesome online store without paying extra for plugins, themes, or custom development. The only fixed costs for WooCommerce are web hosting and domain registration. You can have an online store for less than $250 a year.
How Does WooCommerce Cost Compare to Other Ecommerce Platforms?
Two of the most popular ecommerce platforms besides WooCommerce are Shopify and BigCommerce. Both of these platforms are SaaS solutions which include the software and the hosting. You’ll still need a domain name, but you won’t need to pay for hosting.
Shopify plans start at $29 per month. Also, if you choose not to use Shopify’s payment processing, you’ll have to pay an extra transaction fee. If you need enterprise-grade ecommerce, you’ll want to look at Shopify Plus, which starts at $2,000 per month.
Instead of plugins, Shopify uses apps to add functionality. Both apps and themes have free and paid versions with costs similar to what you’d pay for WooCommerce themes or plugins.
BigCommerce Essentials plans start at $29.95 per month. BigCommerce doesn’t charge additional transaction fees, but it does place a sales limit on your account. When your store exceeds a certain threshold, you have to upgrade to a more expensive plan.
Again, apps and themes offer free and paid versions making it similar to WooCommerce in terms of add-ons.
Which Ecommerce Platform is Most Affordable?
WooCommerce wins the battle of the ecommerce platforms for both cost and flexibility.
BigCommerce limits your sales volume. Shopify limits your inventory location and the number of staff accounts. Depending on your needs, you could be forced to upgrade to a more expensive plan before you can afford it.
There are no limits with WooCommerce. You can grow your business without fear of your ecommerce platform costs increasing. With one of Pressable’s affordable managed WordPress hosting plans, you can launch an ecommerce store for less than you’d pay for Shopify or BigCommerce’s cheapest plans.
Why pay more for less? When it comes to features and costs, WooCommerce is the right solution for businesses of all sizes.
Want to learn more about why WooCommerce is the best ecommerce solution? Check out our resources page for more WordPress and WooCommerce tips. This e-book with 5 Pro Tips for Building a Killer WooCommerce Store is a great place to start.
Getting Started With WooCommerce
To start building your WooCommerce store, you need to set up your WordPress site. The experts at Pressable are ready to help.
Our hosting service is designed to run WordPress and WooCommerce flawlessly. You can sell online with confidence with a Pressable hosting plan.
Benefits of using Pressable to host a WooCommerce store include:
- Automatic Updates. We’ll make sure your site always runs the latest version of WordPress. But since we built WooCommerce, we keep it updated as well.
- Premium Security. We protect your store and valuable data with a powerful firewall, free SSL certificates, and automatic backups. Entry plans and above include the free Jetpack Security Daily plugin, a $239 per year value, for enhanced security.
- Faster Sites. Our optimized servers deliver faster load times for better customer satisfaction, conversions, and search rankings.
- Scalability. Have the courage to go viral or throw a huge Black Friday sale. With Pressable, you never have to worry about traffic spikes negatively impacting your store.
If you’re ready to launch your WooCommerce store, pick a WordPress hosting plan with Pressable and start building today.